1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss Diet Program - The South Beach Diet Program

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpicyLady, Jun 8, 2004.

1. SpicyLady

SpicyLady Fan

Weight Loss Diet Program

Everyone seems to be heading to the "Beach" this summer! The Beach Diet - Weight Lose, that is! Find out what foods you can and can't eat, the difference between "good" and "bad" carbs and more.

-Lose weight fast!
    -Learn more about what should you eat
    -Learn more about a Proven Diet program

The Beach Diet is divided into three different phases. The first phase lasts for two weeks. Each phase includes specific meal plans and recipes.

Phase One

What can't I Eat?

Phase one is the strictest part of The Beach Diet. For two weeks, you'll be totally eliminating fruit, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, sugar, alcohol, and baked goods (The exclusion of these items is why some people may assume it's a low-carb plan.) from your diet.

This means you'll be eliminating many foods you may be accustomed to eating now such as a roll with dinner or a banana in the morning. And say good-bye to junk food. However, after the initial two weeks are up, you can beginning adding the excluded foods back into your diet.

What can I Eat?

You can eat meat, chicken, turkey, fish, and shell-fish. This could mean a serving of Canadian bacon at breakfast or meat topping a chef's salad at lunch. You can easily find a Beach Diet recipe incorporating your favorite type of meat. You can snack on meat, too, such as a turkey roll-up.

You will also be eating vegetables, eggs, cheese, nuts, and salads. Your responsibility on this plan is to eat until your hunger is satisfied. This shouldn't be a problem since the meal plans include three meals, a mid-morning snack, a mid-afternoon snack, and even dessert after dinner!

Is the Food Good?
    Though I haven't tried the yet diet myself, I have to say the meal plans certainly sound delicious. And there are tons of recipes included in the book.

I spotted phase one dishes that sounded wonderful, such as Balsamic Chicken, Roasted Eggplant with Peppers, and Grilled Mahi Mahi. The phase two recipes get even better with the likes of Broiled Sole in Light Cream Sauce and Baked Tomatoes with Basil and Parmesan. There are even desserts -- Almond Ricotta Créme, anyone?

It is Difficult to Do?
    Dr. Agatston says even if you're a bread and pasta lover, you'll be able to get through these initial two weeks "painlessly". It seems you may not even have the urge to eat these types of foods once you get going on phase one. The proof is in the pudding (Or is that in not eating the pudding?): Dr. Agatston's patients who have previously followed his plan have said their cravings virtually disappeared.

What does Phase One Do?
    The theory behind phase one is that there is a "switch" inside us that affects the way our bodies react to the foods we eat that make us overweight. When the "switch" is on, we have urges to eat foods that actually cause us to store fat.

The principle requiring the stringent two-week introductory phase is that by following the specified plan, you can correct the way your body reacts to food.

In other words, by eating fewer of the foods that cause those pesky cravings, you're sort of "re-booting". You shut down those cravings during phase one and then when you start adding carbs again, your system has had time to adjust.

Phase Two

At this time you can begin adding the foods that were off-limits before. You can begin to add bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, or cereal to your meals... it's up to you. You can add fruit, too, if you wish. This diet gives you the freedom to "cherry pick" which of these foods you add back into your diet. While you can't eat them all, nor eat the ones you choose with abandon, they'll no longer be off-limits. The key here is to re-introduce these foods in moderation and to not eat them as often as you were before.

Phase Three

Lastly, phase three is the final and least restrictive phase of The Beach Diet. Dr. Agatston says as long as you follow some basic rules, you'll continue to manage your weight. In fact, he suggests you'll even forget you ever were on a diet and what you've learned will simply become a way of life.

What do You Think?

Have you tried this diet? We're eager to hear what you think about it! Did you find it easy to adjust to or were those first two weeks like boot camp? Please visit our forum and share your opinions with our community.

2. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

Bit of an old topic, but i'll reply anyway cuz i'm doing the south beach diet.

vbeen doing it for 3 months now and lost 5Kg. That doesn't seem much, but it was enough for me. When i hit the 5Kg, i just started eating 'normal'.

The first phase was hard, because your body is used to having 'koolhydraten' (sorry don't know the english word) and I went mad, because i couldn't go to the toilet for a week.

After that it all went pretty easy, and you feel realy good. With this diet your not starving, because you eat 5 or 6 times a day. And everything you're allowed to eat is tasty.

Also it is good for your overall health (bloodpressure/cholesterol etc.) After a while you don't feel that you're on a diet and ordering food in restaurants is easy.

Good luck to everybody who's doing it or thinking of doing it.

3. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

I SUCK AT DIETING. MY MOST FAVORITE FOOD IN THE WORLD IS PASTA AND I ADORE BREAD SO I COULD NEVER DO THIS SOUTH BEACH DIET.

I ALWAYS GOT TOLD ''EVERYTHING IN MODERATION'' AND THAT WORKS GOOD FOR ME.
    LATELY I'VE CUT OUT CRISPS, FIZZY DRINKS AND SWEETS, SO I DRINK WATER ALL DAY AND EAT LOTS OF FRESH FRUIT AND VEG. I HAVEN'T NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCE YET THOUGH.

(IT'S ONLY BEEN 4 DAYS - IT JUST FEELS LIKE 4 YEARS)

4. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

4 days is too short, but leaving snacks out and the little things you eat between meals should do the trick!

5. cherry

cherry Fan

WELL I LIVE BESIDE D CHIPPER SO IM ALWAYS EATING CHIPS PIZZA BURGERS DOH!!!
    BUT IM LUCKY I DONT PUT ON MUCH WEIGHT

6. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

i love well-cared girls :twisted:

7. cherry

cherry Fan

UMM WHAT DO U MEAN WELL CARED GIRLS???

8. Umit

Sports, nice-light make-up, clean ...somethings like that

9. cherry

cherry Fan

OH OK NOW I UNDERSTAND, :D

10. Mella

BOK THE DIET.AS NIKE SAYS:

JUST DO IT!

YOU'LL LOSE POUNDS! :D

11. cherry

cherry Fan

HELL YEAH I LOST HALF A STONE ONE WEEK

12. Umit

God!!!!!!!!!!
    i lost 100kg in a day :)

13. Mella

How much is 100g in Stones? Lol knowing you about 5. ;)

14. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

100 KG IN ONE DAY?!?! Is there still anything left or what?!?!

15. Mella

No - Only a shrivveled up finger. With which he types. *sniffles...*

After what happened to him, People always say:

''You know what happened to the man that had too much sex......''

16. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

owwwwwwww...if that rumour spreads what left for us to do in Kus next summer ;)

17. Blueberry

Blueberry Explorer

this may be very boring inforamtion but it has worked for me.

for maybe 2 months now i have stopped eating meat (fish,chicken,lamb etc etc)from monday to thursday ..i did it not to diet..but for health reasons..and maybe some religious reason also.

then on the weekend i eat meat.i wasnt trying to lose weight,isince i was very thin before and i hated it..anywho...so this week i weighed my self ..i have actaully lost 7 lbs,with this change in my diet.
    also no soft drinks..well maybe just on the weekends..and no sweet stuff.

the good thing about this is that you dont feel guilty to spluge on weekends :)
    by the way isnt ramadan coming up soon..dont knwo if you knwo of it but Divali (the hindu festival of lights..its like a thankgiving and the beginning of a new year for us)is also coming up and ironically this year its 2 days before Eid!Eid MUbarack to all of my muslim sisters and brothers!

18. Mella

To be honest if you want to loose weight it's so very simple.

1) Don't eat bok. (fatty/sugary/junk foods)

2) Eat everything in moderation.

3) Eat fruit & vegetables, drink water

4) Carmella Get off your lazy 'got' and exercise.

19. Bilge

Bilge Fan

I know about Divali, my best friend Shumila is a hindu - sorry, she was until 2 weeks ago, she married a muslim and had to convert to the Islam- and she's told me a few things about it. When I walked into her house at that time I didn't know what I saw... the whole house was lit up by candles etc. Don't know enough about the meaning behind it though.. I think it has to do with honouring the Gods, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm mistaking here.

20. Blueberry

Blueberry Explorer

Well Divali is the festival of lights..they say that when you light your home up with the "deyas"which is a little clay pot..filled with oil and lit with a "wick"which is like a candle wick..anyway so its said that when you light your home up the gods would visit your home and bless it etc.usually we fast from meat atleast for 7 days before some people fast for longer.then All of Trinidad has a public holiday on the day..basically what we do is get up..cook lots of food..and other delicacies which we invite our on hindu friends and famly to partake of.later on in the night ..by the way the deyas are lit when it gets dark maybe around 7pm.then around 10pm we have fire works..well at our home anyway i have 3 brothers and they enjoy doing that.Divali also for us hindus is the beginning of a newyear!Divali is coming soon its on the 11th of November.then we have Eid on the 14th i beleive and then straight on to christmas.

could you beleive it where has the year gone,i could hardly believe it,about 80days left..

hope this information was interesting and not too boring to read.whens the best time to visit the Netherlands?