1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding traditions in Turkey?

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by Ihaa79, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Ihaa79

Ihaa79 Explorer

Hi to everybody!

Please help me! I need to know about Turkish wedding traditions and ways. Also I would like to know the most popular wedding songs.
    I would appreciate if I could know what people eat (any recipes?) and drink at Turkish weddings. And do you have recipe for that delicious bread that you eat for starters with every food (that thin one)? Plus it would be really great if I could get some love poems or wedding poems in Turkish and English so I could also understand them. And anything that is associated with Turkish wedding and would be good to know for me. All this is because I should organise a Turkish wedding in Finland for my friend and I don't know anything about Turkish weddings. The husband is not Kurdish...and what else would you like to know to answer these questions...
    Well I don't know but I really will appreciate all the answers I get! And if you have some web sites where I could find information about this topic than please do tell about them.

Thank you so much for everyone!!!!

2. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Hi there,
    Whats the region of that Turk? There are several traditions in the country and they are quite different.

Generally, in Turkish weddings we drink Turkish alcohols (Raki). And there are numerous songs that we listen but the most popular is (Kasap Havasi).

Anyway, i will search some useful websites and articles for you.

3. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

4. Ihaa79

Ihaa79 Explorer

Hi Kusadasi-Guy!

Thank you for your useful tips! The husband is from Mersin and he is a muslim. I actually had visit allready all these web sites. I would be interested to know more about the actual wedding party. What kind of customs or program they have inte party? Are there any traditional or common texts that are read in the party? Are there customs between the man and wife ( for example related to cuting the cake or something... ) ? What about the colors and meaning of them in decorations and textiles in modern weddings ? What kind of flowers are popular ? etcetera...
    Thank you for being this patient with me and aswering my questions.

Thank you a lot,
    - Jessica-

5. that that this really matters but am goin 2 a wedding 2day lol :cheesy: :clap:

6. Jade

Jade Explorer

hi lhaa79
    l m yesim l will try to help you. in Turkish wedding ''henna night (kına gecesi)'' is traditional. this night hold on one night before wedding. On this night there can be only females and they come together in the bride's house or somewhere else and they listen music and dance. And they spread a henna in bride's palm of the hand. This is only one tradition. There are lots of wedding tradition in Turkey. But l do not know all of them. l will search for you and on the internet and then l will give th web site ok?

7. Jade

Jade Explorer

8. Blueberry

Blueberry Explorer

Interesting..we have this EXACT tradition in Hindu weddings also !!!

9. cherry

cherry Fan

YES I WAS WATCHIN CORRIE THE OTHER NIGHT AND DEV WAS GETTIN MARRIED AND SUNITA GOT THAT DESIGN ON HER HAND WITH INK.....

10. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

YEAH. MY FRIEND HAD IT DONE WITH BROWN HENNA PAINT. LIKE A FLORAL PATTERN ON HER HAND.

IVE HAD A HENNA TAT DONE ON MY LOWER BACK. ONLY COZ THE TATTOO MAN WAS A FYNE SPANISH GUY.