1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Visa - Passport Issue

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by Shannon, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Shannon

Shannon Addict

Guys, you wouldnt believe what happened to me in Istanbul. I flew from Dublin to Amsteerdam to Istanbul to Izmir...long day! Anyway when i arrived in Izmir in Jan, i went to passport control and gave my passport to the police to get a new visa but the policeman stamped my other visa in my passport for that day and said no its okay you dont need a new one. I was a bit confused but i thought "okay, he is airport police, he must know". So i said okay and i flew to Izmir.
    Wheni flew back to Istanbul 3 weeks later to come back to ireland, i was ready to go into departures. I was already annoyed because i had to pay 50 uero for excess bagage but then i went to departures and to passport control. I handed my passport to the police and he said no no this visa is out of date, you have to photocopy your passport and go to the police station and i was like "WHAT"!!!! Bear in mind my flight was leaving in 50 minutes. So i copied my passport and went to the police station where they said you have to pay a penalty if you want to leave the country of about 200 euro.
    I was so shocked cos the policeman when i came in said i didnt need another visa. So then i said can i give you euro and he said no it has to be Lira. So then i had to go to the post office to change the last of my money to Lira. Then back to the police station and gave them the money and they stamped my visa. Then i had to run to departures and barely made my flight. I was nearly crying lol.
    I think i came back to Ireland with 20 cent in my wallet!!! :(

2. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Wow, interesting and sad story...

3. lorraine

lorraine Fan

Hi Shannon,
    Same thing happened to us in Bodrum airport last october. Renewed our passports but our old passports had the visas in from when we flew out to Kus in May.
    Didnt tell us when we arrived and waved us on through.
    Went to leave and we too were marched away by the police. We had to pay around £140 for the 2 of us to leave, or else we would be banned for 5 years from entering Turkey. What a fright! Turns out we had overstayed our welcome by 5 days!!
    The visa goes 90 days from the FIRST day it was issued apparently. Phew, we did panic and thought we were going to miss the plane. We were rushed through and made the plane by 1 minute.

Regards
    Lorraine

4. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

OKey, very interesting issue, so whats your recommendations to our members?

5. Shannon

Shannon Addict

Visa

A couple of my friends said i should speak to the Irish Embassy about it, it is crazy cos really the police should tell you this before you they wave you into the country. They told me it was fine and then i got screwed over. Anyone else have any stories like that? :)

6. Shannon

Shannon Addict

Visa

When you are going into Turkey, check when you're last Visa was issued, if you're running out of time just get a new one, from now on i dont care what the police say im just gettin a new visa everytime i go to Turkey, im not gettin caught out again like that.

7. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

Thanks. Although it was shit that it happened to you babe - you sharing your experience with other people on here will help it from happening to others. Thanksssssssssssss :)

8. Sorry dont get it, maybe its me thats a bit bumb now, but do u have to pay 10€ when u r getting the stamp in your passport?
    I went ceveral times last year and i have never paid anything, and its the fist time i hear this :confused:

9. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

http://www.turkeytravel.org/visas.html

It says there that people from Denmark do NOT require a visa in order to enter Turkey.

But most countries may obtain sticker type visas at the
    Turkish International Border Gates
    in order to enter into Turkey

It's not much though...If you go from England it's only 10 pound. Or from Holland 10 euro's.

10. Thanx Carmella that cleared thing up ;)

11. Voycey

Voycey Fan

its crazy - an irish girl we met came over on her last visa but it expired teh day before she had to leave - i dunno if she got back okay?