1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkish baths

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by **claire**, May 9, 2004.

1. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Can anybody recomend te best place to have a Turkish Bath?
    last year we went to one near bar street, which was really good, is this the best place? or do you know of better??
    want to do it again this year, my skin felt wonderful afterwards & my suntan lasted a lot longer!! 8)

2. what is a turkish bath like??? :oops:

3. **claire**

IT is wonderful!!
    it is good fun if you go with a group of friends.
    when you first walk in you are given a cubicle to get changed in, you can wear as much or as little as you like. we wore swisuits/tankini's but there were a couple of nudes in there :roll: !!
    you are also given a cotton towel. once you are changed they will take you into the steam area, where you will sit & realx in the the warm room, there are bowls of cold water around the room for you to poor over yourself, you stay in here for 5 or so mins, then you will again sit in individual cubicles where somebody will come in & wash your hair with an olive oil soap, then rinse yourself off. next is the fun bit, you lie on a marble slab and they scrub your whole body with an exfoliating glove (looks a little bit like harsh sand paper, but feels nice) this will take of all the dead cells from your skin. you will then be covered in a really soapy lather and massaged all over. they pull your arms & legs in all directions & posistions that you did'nt think possible. you then rinse off & your done!! sit outside have a cup of cay (tea) and relax.

it really is something that you should do, we were all really nervous about it, not sure what to expect. but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

you should have this on one of the first days of your holiday, it prepares your skin for the sun, and should stop you getting burnt, as well as making your tan last a lot longer!!

i will warn you tho, after you have had it done, all you will want to do is sleep!! it is so relaxing!!! i think we paid about 10 euros to have it done, and we were in there a good hour!!

4. Ohhh Claire...Great explaination :clap: ...made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up lol!...reminds me of my turkish bath...I really must remember to have a turkish bath this holiday!

5. I've never had a turkish bath before :| But i MUST go there this time cause when i speak too people that tryed it, they all ways say that after a turkish bath, u feel so clean and relaxed..
    Can anybody recommend where i should go, if i need a great turkish bath?

xxx C xxx

6. **claire**

The bath i went to is near bar street, just a few steps up the hill, it is near a hotel, but i cannot remember the name. they were very good!!

7. Near barstreet! witch hill?? near Jimmy's og near Michaels place??
    How much does it cost?

Thanx

xxx C xxx

8. **claire**

if you stand at the front of bar street, look to the right, and you will see a hotel on a slight hill, (behind where the taxis wait) the baths are just there on the right hand side. it cost about 10 euros.

9. Okay.. Think i know where it is now..

Thanx :D

10. yeah i must remember to get 1 of those turish bathes
    ...sounds good! lol ;)

is there many around kusadasi ?
    thats cheap! :clap:

11. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Yesss there are much!

But go to downtown Turkish Bath - that one is historical and perfect!

:)

12. ok... cant wait to go there! :)
    would i go to it on the first couple of days i am there?

13. Umit

Definitely ;)

14. ok! cant wait to try it :lol:

15. turquoise

turquoise Explorer

hammami

Dear girls,
    At my 'ripe' age at last I went to a Turkish bath (hammam) whith an American friend living in Istanbul. All tourists go to Cemberlitas, the most beautiful and wellknown. But I found Karen-Clair at Istanbullife.com where she is a regular contributor, a columnist about her daily life in istanbul. The way she wrote about the hammam made me decide to go there. We mailed, and she called me at my hotel, we made a date for friday, her day off. We went to hamam Besiktas, only visited by Turkish ladies: young, old, beautiful, fat but still beautiful. I lost my shyness immediately, because everybody does her thing, and doesn't pay much attention. It is very relaxing and good for body and soul. You feel like a baby taken care of by a skillful mother, your maseuse. If you don't speak Turkish, she will gently push you over to turn on your back, or sit up straight. The hotels in for instance Alanya neighbourhoud asked 35 euro for the whole works. Look in the side-streets, or ask a lady at the bazar. They all go regularly. Don't go where it is unisex: that is touristic. A man entering a female hammam could be punished by death.
    If our Turkish hosts and members don't agree whith me, I will be glad to be corrected! In Antalya I found a wonderful, authentic hammam, whith a large lounge, you were allowed to smoke, have water or tea. There was also a hairdresser, I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure (very good when you go walking in slippers and sandals!), and felt like a Queen. The price? 1/4 of what I would pay for a pedicure alone in Holland. Don't forget to tip your maseuse. Kusadsi-guy will know what would be appropriate. Have fun, and report back please, how you liked it!
    :D (sorry, I am a journalist, not a telegraphist :oops: )

16. Umit

WOW!!!!!! :idea:

I loved your post again! It's so interesting and useful.

BTW; are you really journalist? Because, i will announce new design - new concept in few weeks and I need volunteer authors.

Just a tip about Kusadasi.biz's next concept, please visit an example website: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/online/

17. bEaCh BoY

bEaCh BoY Fan

Re: hammami

18. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

i had a turkish bath whilst i was staying in Kusadasi. It was heaven. But i had a male guy rub me down. I don't have a problem wether it's male or female. He was very good anyways 8)

19. Umit

Have u got any pix to share with us Carmella?

20. nicolaxxx

nicolaxxx Explorer

i might sound really thick here but waht actually is a hammam??

Nicola x*X*x