1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey Gets Green Light From Brussels

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by Umit, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Turkey Gets Green Light From Brussels

The European Commission has approved starting EU accession negotiations with Turkey. According to a report published on Wednesday, Brussels backed beginning talks with Ankara but warned a long road lies ahead.

In a progress report presented to the European Union on Wednesday, the Commission recommended opening membership talks with Turkey, but left room for suspending or even breaking off talks at any point if unsatisfied with Turkey's progress.

The bloc's executive linked the success of negotiations with a series of stipulations such as progress on human rights and implementing outstanding reforms in the legal system.

"The Commission considers that Turkey sufficiently fulfills the political criteria and recommends that accession negotiations be opened," stated the report, which was endorsed by a large consensus among the commissioners.

The Commission refused to say when accession talks would commence, leaving the final decision to EU leaders at a December 17 summit.

If the European Commission's recommendation is approved by the 25 EU leaders at the end of the year summit, entry talks could begin in early 2005, capping years of lobbying by Turkish leaders who say their country could form a bridge between Muslim countries and Europe.

EU officials have also not given a concrete date for Turkey's actual entry. Most estimates, though, indicate that Ankara's road to Brussels will extend until well into the next decade, with 15 years the most likely target.

Read More:
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1349995,00.html

2. Does this mean that when Turkey joins the EU it's gonna bump up it's prices? Jeez when that happens I'm heading off to Bulgaria on hols!!

3. Umit

okey, i move to England then u move to Bulgaria, deal?

4. Why on earth would you want to move to England??? :razz:

Scotland is much cooler! :wave:

5. Umit

no, just kidding, honestly i am not sure to joining to EU, i dont know it's good or not for our economical conditions.

6. I know the Turkish economy is pretty bad isn't it? By joining the EU expectations are going to be very high. Thin of the salsry rises etc - your right it'll be a nightmare!

7. Umit

nope, i dont think so... EU should have precautions about that.

8. Isn't Turkey a self sufficiant state though?

Is the general concensus that most Turkish people want to join the EU?

9. Umit

yes, general concencus is joining the EU. But all of them think that they will be rich, at least they expect better economical conditions. But i dont expect that - i expect worst economical conditions.

But; EU should be great opportunity for Turkey to be more democratic. Military Forces will lost their importance in politics... thats perfect and democratic.

10. Yeah but it'll take time for them to be rich, they are not going to suddenly have lots more money in their bank account because Turkey has joined the EU!

I agree with the democratic side, I did find it very daunting the first time I was in Turkey as there were police men with guns everywhere!

11. Umit

Hmmm, so; i only support the joining the EU becuase of being more democratic. And i really dont expect better economical conditions.

12. Well here's hoping it all works out properly.

13. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

I support the Turkey joining the EU debate because then it'll be more democratic. which is greaaaaat. I really dont expect better economical conditions. yes, exactly.

14. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

@Mr Kus: this was for instance what i meant in the other topic about human rights (still army influence and people getting arrested for dubious reasons)

15. I know!

When I was in Gumbet 2 years ago peacefully minding my own business having a yummy dinner a car pulled up and out came 4 guys with guns etc they then arrested 3 waiters that were working! It was mental cause there were folk in the restaraunt thinking it was part of the entertainment!!! Seriously though it was like it was out of a film or summit!

16. Umit

i dont think that people getting arrested for dubious reasons anymore...
    And i you look at EU, they are agree with me.

17. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

We are talking about the same thing however, earlier you mentionned that joing would be good for the democracy.

That's what i am saying also, it is weird to 'us' that some issues are still considered 'normal' by turkish law and therefore had to be reformed before even considering Turkey to join. Well that's out of the way now

18. Umit

Like what?

19. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

Sorry i did not mean law, i meant believes.
    And i'm talking about honour killing and the bill that was supposed to be passed on adultery.

If Turkey's was to put 'crimes' like adultery back in it's penal code which are not in other EU countries laws, it would easily be interperted by other countries as islamic law/believes entering turkish law - no european country would be happy about that.

I believe the law on aldultery was in effect upto '97 or '98 or something and luckily banished because it was in the disadvantage of women.

The reforms by the government are indeed good for democracy and personal freedom. However a law is easier to change than peoples (religious) believes

20. Umit

Hmmm, in Turkey we are all against that and the law that you mentioned above is denied by the parliament.

Adultery punishment was just a claptrap and it's gone to dustbin.