1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkbuku And Bodrum

Discussion in 'Other Resorts of Turkey' started by Rhona, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Rhona

Rhona Kusadasi Queen

Nothing to do with this forum really, I wondered if anyone had good links to what to do in Turkbuku and Bodrum. I like a bit of history and know about the castle but not much else.
    How difficult would it be to go to Saklikent Gorge from there?
    Going in May and I can find very little in things to do.
    Also cant find a decent forum to ask questions, they all are very poor in comparison to this one.
    Thoug not as bad as the Callis Beach one which only talked about how many men the women managed to 'sleep' with in a fortnight!!

2. AlanK

AlanK Connoisseur

You would need to get a coach to Fethiye and then a dolmuş to the gorge, a minimum of three hours each way. To get ideas of what to do subscribe to the free Bodrum Bulletin online newspaper. Enjoy your visit.

Rhona likes this.
  3. Rhona

Rhona Kusadasi Queen

Thanks Alan, looks like the gorge is out this year then, you really need a whole day at it, next year maybe.

4. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

I've been to Bodrum many times and I really like it, so much so I'm supposed to be setting up a website about it but keep getting side tracked! It's so picturesque with it's white-washed houses and beautiful cascading Bougainvillea. I know quite a few people that have been there on holiday as it's popular...some loved it, but others didn't (it's boring, too expensive and too spread out) so I think it depends what you want from a holiday, it's very different to Kusadasi...not somewhere I could live but nice for a break.

I just had a look on the map and it says Türkbükü is about 20 kilometers away from Bodrum itself, don't know much about it other than it's not really a well known tourist resort for Brits, it's very beautiful and there are a few beach clubs around the bay there.

Excursions from Bodrum don't differ that much from any other Turkish resort: Jeep safari, quad safari, Pamukkale, Horse riding, Turkish night, Turkish bath, boat trip (this one is definitely worth going on, as the sea around bodrum is so beautiful..def my favourite day trip in Bodrum), there's also a village tour, a weekly clothes market, day trips to Kos/Rhodes, a small aquapark, Dalyan (turtle beach, mud baths and King tombs), rafting in Dalaman (those two are full days out from early morning to evening) and the Bodrum Castle which has been converted into the Museum of Underwater Archeology, it has an interesting Byzantine shipwreck hall, spooky dungeons and fabulous views around the bay. I loved visiting the Castle.

The best thing about Bodrum is probably the nightlife... they have a Bar Street that runs along the sea front (expensive, but much nicer than Kusadasi Bar Street) with bars pumping different music, you have 2 of the most famous clubs in Turkey - Halikarnas and Catamaran, you also have bars and beach bars scattered around the town. The resort of Gumbet is 10 minutes away from Bodrum and is basically made up of 2-3 streets full of bars and restaurants...a little Britain full of drunk kids and happy hour cocktails.

Don't know any links but if you Google things to do in Bodrum etc then i'm sure something will come up.

5. Rhona

Rhona Kusadasi Queen

Many thanks Mella.
    I have been once to Gumbet, went years ago with my Mum, so it was a laid back sort of time. We did the boat trip, loved it, and the village tour.
    This one looks interesting; Dalyan (turtle beach, mud baths and King tombs) And a visit to the castle in on the cards.
    Turkbuku it seems is the place to be for millionaires, so we wont be spending much time drinking their very expensive cocktails for sure, but will have a visit. Its the place to see and be seen apparently, so we will go incognito in case any film stars recognise us : )

A hidden treasure on the Aegean Sea, Turkbuku, is possibly the next St.-Tropez for the jet set. In Turkbuku, a tiny village on the north side of the Bodrum Peninsula, women in gold bikinis tan on sun beds to get ready to party all night.

6. kay

kay Kusadasi Kiwi

I've been down there a few times but only in the winter so it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges. Dalyan is an interesting trip. I heard that there is a small private tour to what is described as a "nomad village". I went privately a few years ago but can't find the photos from that year and can't remember the name but it was on one of the photos. It was right up in the hills and almost as if time stood still. A little like Sirince - without the commerce, stunning stone homes but not the expensive renovated ones, great gardens and the older women still wore gold head decorations. I'll keep looking for the photos.
    Yalikavak has some nice restaurants etc.
    I found this but you may already have seen it. http://www.bodrumlife.com/

Rhona likes this.
  7. Rhona

Rhona Kusadasi Queen

Many thanks Kay. The village sounds fantastic.

8. kay

kay Kusadasi Kiwi

Found it. Comakdag Kizilgac. Here are a few photos and I found a couple of websites with more photos. (We gave the lady with the razor sharp machette a lift back to her village as she had missed the dolmus - and she took us into her home for a tea. Great memories ) .
    Milas is also worth a bit of a look if you have time - a nice historical site near the gardens with a burial chamber and the market is good - mainly carpets as Milas is a carpet weaving centre.
    Datca is also a nice little place but you may have had enough of seaside villages by then. Used to be a ferry from Bodrum to Datca and also one to Marmaris but may not run now.
    Enjoy.

Here's another link to a blog that I found interesting. http://www.balkantravellers.com/en/read/article/1249 although it looks as if more mass tourism has found the place since my visit.

Attached Files:

Rhona likes this.
  9. zephyr

zephyr Addict

Hi Rhona,
    Your post has brought back so many happy memories.
    We have been to Turkbuku twice.
    The first time was about 20 years ago.
    Turkbuku was a small fishing village.
    We stayed in the only hotel in the village,which had about 10 rooms. I seem to recall that we and another couple, were the only Brits there, and the hotel housed the only foreigners in the village.
    There were a few restaurants along the waterfront, some with pontoons out over the sea. There was nothing between them and the beach, except a very narrow road, and some tables and chairs were actually on the beach. It was fun to see food being carried across the road to the tables, there was so little traffic.
    It was idyllic, and so quiet and unspoilt. We soon made friends with some of the villagers, and we were invited to a wedding whilst there.
    The second visit was 2 years ago.
    Turkbuku has now expanded along the coast and up into the hills, and has merged with the next village, and is now referred to as Gulturkbuku.
    It is nolonger the quiet fishing village that we so fondly remember, but is now a very chic resort, and is referred to as Turkey's St Tropez with good reason.
    There are many hotels and beach clubs, and loads of restaurants. There are also many shops and boutiques.
    We were delighted to find our original hotel. It is now called The Lemon Grove, and has a new owner. We were spotted looking at it through the gates, and we were invited in to look around. It was still recognisable, but obviously now not so rustic. When we explained why we were there, we were offered drinks at the pool bar, with the compliments of the manager. To our amazement, we recognised the barman, and he recognised us! He had use to be the pool boy at our first visit 20 years before.
    The restaurant on the beach, where we had made friends, was still there, but now run by the "teenage" son and his sons, his father having retired. They had realised their dream of expanding the restaurant into a small hotel/pension.
    The road along the beach has now been closed to traffic, and is a pedestrian area only, but the restaurants still put their tables and chairs on the beach.
    Whilst Turkbuku has changed significantly, it is still a lovely place, and we are glad we revisited.
    The hotel we stayed in 2 years ago was called the Ada Hotel. It is tucked away in the village, and is amazing. I think it was one of the few hotels in Turkey to be listed in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World guide. It was a far cry from the simple rustic accomodation of 20 years ago, but it reflects the transformation of Turkbuku.
    When we left, the manager, with whom were had become friendly during our short stay, performed the Turkish custom of throwing water after us, to ensure that we return, and I think we will.
    We have made several excursions into Bodrum as there are many things to see. As mentioned, there is the castle, which is worth going round, and I think there was a museum as well. Bodrum is also the site of one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. This was built by the Carians, and stood for about 1500 years, until the main structure was destroyed. What remains is still worth seeing. It is located within Bodrum itself, and we walked to it from the castle area. It did take some asking of directions, but now if you use Google maps for directions,( Bodrum Castle to Mausoleum of Halicarnassus) it gives you a very clear map and directions. It indicates that the walk should be under 10 mins.
    The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, is not to be confused with the famous Bodrum open air nightclub, Halicarnassus, although you might also want to give that a visit too!
    Try looking at this website
    www.bodrumpeninsulaguide.com/
    The Bodrum peninsula has loads of lovely little villages and towns.
    Gumusluk is worth a visit, as it is the site of ancient Mindos. There are lots of restaurants along the beach. The water is shallow and very clear, and you can see lots of columns underwater, which you can walk around. If you go towards the small island, you can walk out to it very easily. It is advisable to take some jelly shoes for this walk, however, if you fancy something to eat, then the restaurant right at the end, will kindly lend you a pair, in the hope that you will eat there. We had a lovely fishy meal there , with a fabulous view.
    Another trip you could do from Turkbuku, is to take a boat/ ferry ride from Torba, across to Altinkum. From there you can walk, or get a taxi, to Didim and the Temple of Apollo. It is a long day out, and we did it in high summer, but still thought it worthwhile.
    I am in UK at the moment, with all my travel books and maps for Turkey in my house in Kusadasi, so I can only tell you the things which come to mind.
    I think you should have a lovely time, with lots to do. If you feel brave, try hiring a car for a couple of days, as this will make getting around a lot easier, and you will be able to explore the coast around Turkbuku.

AlanK, Rhona and Mella like this.
  10. Rhona

Rhona Kusadasi Queen

Wow, thank you both, you have given me a real taste of what the area has to offer.
    Looking forward to our visit even more now.
    Thanks again.

11. Angie

Angie Expert

A trip to Gumusluk is worth it for the sunset alone. It is breathtaking. Having an evening meal on the waterfront with the sun setting in the foreground is one of the happiest memories I have of visiting other places in Turkey

12. Puddletink

Puddletink Addict

Hi Mella
    I am going to Gumbet this year (sadly no flights from Newcastle to Izmir). The websites I have found with information about Gumbet/Bodrum are not very informative (wish you'd gotten round to setting up yours!) We thought Kusadasi was really cheap last year to eat out and have a drink (didn't go to Bar Street). Is Gumbet/Bodrum more expensive than Kusadasi and if so how much can we expect to pay for a meal, pint/bottle of efes, soft drink? Any favourite restaurants/bars you would recommend :)

13. redwine

redwine Expert

Gumbet is very good for bars. It has a nice and relatively long beach. There are restaurants and bars on the beach. There is also a separate bar street. Meals and restaurants are good in Gumbet. I saw many British tourists in Gumbet and some bars specially designed for British tourists. Gumbet is a town of Bodrum. It's a smaller place than Bodrum. There are less alternatives for any basic things including meals. But number of bars is satisfactory and it has a good beach.

Kusadasi is cheaper than Bodrum, Gümbet and Marmaris. Kusadasi is nearer to Izmir and Istanbul where the majority of suppliers and producers are located in Turkey. There is less transportation cost on the goods sold in Kusadasi. Also Kusadasi hinterland is one of the most suitable region for agricultural production. Because there are large fields, big rivers, much better transportation availability with probably the best road-highway-railway-airport-sea interconnection and millions of farmer families around Kusadasi. Bodrum region is not luckier than Kusadasi region for agriculture and transportation. Because it's more like a mountainous-forested region compared to Kusadasi. For example, there is no railway in Bodrum-Marmaris region because of the mountainous-forested geography. These are the some factors I can think of for now. But I would highly recommend you to visit Bodrum and Gümbet. It's different, has a different taste for a traveler and the price difference is not extremely high.

peril likes this.