1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy (Truva)

Discussion in 'Other Resorts of Turkey' started by Smilina, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Smilina

Smilina Fan

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For about 3,000 years the fascinating story involving the destruction of the prosperous city of Troy in a long war fought over the legendary beauty, Helen, was thought to be fiction. The story, told by Homer in the Iliad, was regarded as just a myth.

[​IMG]

Then in 1863. a British expatriate named Frank Calvert discovered ancient ruins at a place in western Turkey called Hisarlik, and was convinced they were Troy. Heinrich Schliemann showed up in 1868, provided money for more digging, and took credit for discovering Troy.

Troy, also Ilium (ancient Ilion), famous city of Greek legend, on the northwestern corner of Asia Minor. The legendary founder of the city was Ilus, the son of Tros, from whom the name Troy was derived. The son and successor of Ilus was Laomedon, who was slain by the hero Hercules, when Hercules captured the city. During the reign of Laomedon's son Priam occurred the celebrated Trojan War, which resulted in the capture and destruction of the city.

Some visitors think "there's not a lot to see at Troy," and that's true compared to Turkey's hundreds of other ancient cities such as Pergamum, Ephesus and Aphrodisias.

But people just from seeing Troy's ancient walls, climbing around the ruins, and gazing across the Troad (the plains of Troy) towards the waters of the Dardanelles and the hills of Gallipoli beyond.

Troy is impressive for its great age (the oldest ruins date from 3000 BC) and beautiful situation. The hokey wooden horse is just for fun (especially for kids).

Guided tours to Troy and the Gallipoli battlefields run from Istanbul, especially in April around ANZAC Day. (Here's a good 6-day self-drive tour of Troy, Gallipoli, Pergamum and Ephesus).

Although you can visit Troy from Istanbul in one day, it's not recommend. The drive (or bus ride) is about five hours each way. It's much better to make an overnight excursion by rental car or by bus, including a guided minibus tour or self-guided hiking tour of the Gallipoli battlefields.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    If you plan to stay a night in nearby Çanakkale, it makes sense to include Troy in your itinerary, especially if you're heading south—it's just off the main Izmir highway a few kilometers.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

**If you haven't done it yet, I strongly recomend you to read this great epic story. I was delighted!**
    [/font]

2. Smilina

Smilina Fan

Adds: Anzac Day, Gallipoli

The commemoration of ANZAC Day (April 25th—for Australia New Zealand Army Corps) is now a major event on Turkey's tourism calendar.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The premier event of the commemorations is a dawn remembrance service at Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair (the Australian and New Zealand memorials) attended by diplomats, high military officers, descendants of those who fought here, and thousands of curious visitors.

[​IMG]
    [/font]

3. lofty

lofty Fan

Well im impressed! Arent u just the little well of knowledge!!!!

4. Eline

Eline Addict

Hi Hun,

wel wel wel you are gonna make us al very smart !! :p When we all learn the fact on here by heart we are gonna know more about Turkey than the inhabitants !!

Thanks for sharing I'am a little anoing to day but I really liked your info :)

xx

5. Shannon

Shannon Addict

Wow the Troy thing is really interesting, id love to see that, thanks for sharing Smilina :)

6. bEaCh BoY

bEaCh BoY Fan

I have heard that Trojan horse replica from the movie Troy was given to canakkale as a gift from hollywood.. Has anybody else heard about this?

7. jeanke

jeanke Fan

and many historians believe turkish people are troian. turk name comes from the commender of troy the name turchus.after war turchus and his group went to the east and thousends years later came back anatolia..troy is an hititian city and still we use many words of hitit language in turkish..

8. Troy

Troy Explorer

Troy info

Ok well i have to write tihs paper for my english class :doh: about the findings of troy and like i need to get some info on it if anyone culd help that would be great. Please If you find any good sites or infomation that you already know please reply

9. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

Hey Troy, Welcome to the forum!

Why ' :doh: '? That sounds fun! hehe...

Well all you have to do is type Troy etc into the google/yahoo search engine and you'll get LOADS of information and pictures!

I'd pull some Troy-ish sites off for ya, but I'm not allowed to post most of the links on here, as they'd be on other commercial Turkish sites.

Google it, baby!

x

10. jeanke

jeanke Fan