1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

The best excursions to go on?

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by chocolatehoney, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Hey guys!

Having been going to Turkey for quite a few years now, i think its about time for me to go sight seeing!!! Only thing is there are so many to choose from and i dont know where to start!!

Any suggestions would be great thanks!!

2. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Ephesus!!!!
    Smilina did a review of it at this link...

I still havnt been myself .... but plan to in the near future!!!

also this link has lots of ideas here

:)

3. Smilina

Smilina Fan

4. Thanks guys, im hoping to go on historical tours, coz i believe there is still so much more to learn!! Would it be better for me to go to Ephesus when im there in may, rather than in june coz i hear its really hot there?

5. **claire**

Yep .. definatley go in may, i have heard that there is very little shade at Ephesus & it is a sun trap!
    make sure you take lots of water with you!!!

6. Oonie

Oonie Fan

Definately go in May. I was there in June and it was like a furnace :oops:

It is well worth the trip though, and as Claire said bring plenty of water and snacks like fruit 'cause the price of things there is ridiculous!

7. Eline

Eline Addict

Hi

We went in August and it was way to hot for any excursions by bus. That's why we went on a boattrip, also very nice. But this year I would find another boat with nicer lads on it. These guys didn't say a word to anyone.... :huh: I can't remember the name of the boat .... :doh:

8. Try the jeep safari, they are great fun, but don't forget to shop around as the prices vary a great deal.

9. Maro

Maro Fan

A visit to Ephesus is better in May than June, because just too hot then. You can also visit Aphrodisias, in my opinion even better than Ephesus. It is about 2 hours drive by car from Kusadasi, but very well indicated. Also Pamukkale is worthwile. We combined both last year: very long day but really enjoyed it.

You can also take the dolmus to Sirince. First take the dolmus to Selcuk and then get the dolmus to Sirince, they have very nice wines, especially the fruit wines. And you can taste them all before you buy !

I have also visited Priene an Dydima, all by dolmus. Priene is ok but I would not recommend Dydima, was not very impressed by it.

When I am in Turkey I try do visit everything by dolmus or I rent a car. You get to see so much more that way and you can eat in some little village between the locals. Mind you if you want to have some contact with the locals in the small village better not to wear open tops and shorts... Made the mistake once and nobody wanted to talk to me, snif snif.

If you want more info, just ask me.

Maro

10. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Maro, thank you for your useful tips, we really appreciate it.

11. Thanks maro and everyone else!!

All your information is fantastic!!! I really do appreciate it!!

12. **claire**

Has anyone done any good excursions this year??

I did the Full day Boat trip!

We were collected from our hotel at 9am & driven to the boat, we visited 3 different beaches, spending a few hours in each loaction!
    We had a delicous meal (chicken, fish, salad, rice, chips & Bread) & unlimited soft drinks (coke, fanta, sprite & water) beer & raki was available at reasonable prices (2ytl each)

We paid 15YTL for the trip & it was a really enjoyable day!!