1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Ramazan

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Damn_Fine_Black_Girl, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Hello all

Well we talked about the mosques, think we should also talk about another important thing in the muslim peoples lives, the ramazan.
    Is there anybody who can tell about ramazan, and what it means? know it's a long story, but if somebody could make it short!
    Anything special u do during the ramazan? (family, friends)
    Offerings of the lamb!
    anythind special u must eat?
    What can u do and not do?

Hope to get some answers

Charlotte

2. The Islamic holy month of Ramazan (RAH-mah-zahn, called Ramadan in other countries) is a time of fasting, prayer and celebration.

FASTING
    Fasting means letting nothing pass the lips: no food, drink, chewing gum, tobacco smoke or, for the strictly observant, not even licking an envelope or postage stamp from sunrise to sunset. Observant Muslims also refrain from sexual intercourse during the holy month.

Most Muslims, whether strictly observant or not, use the holy month and the stricture of fasting to help them examine their lives, to remind themselves of virtues like charity, compassion and forgiveness, and to avoid vices like cupidity, selfishness and dishonesty.

Many Turks fast from sunrise to sunset during Ramazan. Restaurants are less busy at lunch, and there's even less Turkish tea in evidence--which is amazing.

If you're in Turkey during Ramazan, it's polite to refrain from eating and drinking in public during daylight hours. Rather, do it inside a restaurant, tea house, cafe (most of which will be operating), or other private or semi-private area. Muslim restaurant and cafe staff will understand that you are non-Muslim and will be happy to serve you. Some places may cover their windows with curtains so as not to distract those fasting.

FEASTING!
    Ramazan is also a time of celebration, and after sunset the feasting begins with a ceremonial "break-fast" light meal called Iftar. It always includes freshly-baked flat pide bread, and usually soup, pickled vegetables, olives and other easily-prepared edibles. Elaborate dinners are held later in the evening.

Strings of colored lights festoon trees and buildings, mosques are illuminated and crowded with worshippers. A carnival atmosphere prevails with temporary booths selling religious books and paraphernalia, traditional snacks and stuff for the kids. A big early-morning meal is eaten before the fast begins again at sunrise.

Many restaurants offer special banquet-like Ramazan menus at night; some restaurants which normally serve alcoholic beverages may refrain from doing so during the holy month, offering fruit juices and other drinks instead. Non-Muslims are welcome and usually invited to join in the celebrations, which are great fun.

DATES
    Being an Islamic holiday, Ramazan begins 11 days earlier each succeeding year. Here are the dates:

2004: 15 October - 13 November

2005: 4 October - 2 November

2006: 23 September - 22 October

THE NIGHT OF POWER
    During Ramazan, Kadir Gecesi (Lailat al Kadr), the Night of Power, commemorates the revelation of the Qur'an to the Prophet Muhammed. It's celebrated on these dates, beginning--as the traditional Islamic day does--in the evening and lasting until the following evening:

2004: 9/10 November

2005: 29/30 October

2006: 18/19 October

3. Thanx a lot viva really apreciate it :cheesy: If anything else pops up please write more cause im sure many people inc myself find it very interresting..

Thanx :super:

4. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing that with us Viva!!!

Claire :cheesy:

5. Bilge

Bilge Fan

People, it's almost that time again, just a few more days... Off the cigarettes and of the coffee until sundown!!! :wacko: By the time I'm allowed to eat I start lighting cigarettes and fueling up on cafeine that I forget to eat... So wish me luck (I'll need it)!!!
    Anyone else fasting here??

6. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

Bilge you should stop smoking forever. You anyways have to stop all day until dark, so it would be a helping hand. It's really bad for you. And think of the benefits of stopping.
    *more money
    *better sense of smell
    *you smell better
    *your health improves
    *You can breath better
    *people won't feel like they're kissing an ashtray
    *what you dont spend on ciggies you can spend on clothes
    Hahaha i'm only messing. It's just since i have quit smoking i have found a new hobby - PREACHING nanananana :razz: now i dont smoke i can nag like my mother nagged me.

I'm gonna do ramadan.

7. Sootjuh

Sootjuh Fan

done it once because i was curious and i found it really hard, also i felt a bit of a hypocrit because it is sort of a religious thing, i and was making a competition with myself out of it :oops:

@Bilge...come on girlie, you can do this ;)

8. Bilge

Bilge Fan

I'll do it, but it ain't gonna be a pretty sight :cheesy: ! I'm gonna loose so many friends in a month by snapping at them haha :banned2:

9. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me some 'sayings' that you say for Ramazan? to send to friends & loved ones. (in turkish & what they mean)

Claire :cheesy:

10. my mammy & daddy was talking to the barworkers in kittys and jimmys..they were saying they are all off the fags and drink (even though most of them dont drink) for 30 days.

11. Eline

Eline Addict

Baawaahhaaaaa :D :D :D Hahaha Sis, just find this post of you, and I know Ramazam just ended, how did you do this year ??? :p

BTW I heard from a Turkish a nice story about one of the last days of Ramazan is special day and you can pray to your God and aks for something, when you did good Ramazan this is bount to happen then....

12. xStakYx

xStakYx Fan

wooo interesting information :)