1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

RAKI

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by **claire**, Nov 17, 2004.

1. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Rakı, the national alcoholic drink of Turkey has a high degree alcohol and should not be consumed quickly.

When You think of Turkey, you think of Raki. Although it is not known where or when this drink was invented, it is certain that the history of raki does not go as far back as wine or beer. There are many proverbs on raki which is the traditional Turkish drink. Raki is made from different fruits in different regions, but grapes, figs and plums are the main ones.

Most people drink it by mixing it with water. Colorless rakı turns milky white when mixed with water. Mindful drinkers fill 1/3 of their glass with rakı then add water and finally ice. Ice is never put in the glass first. If rakı is met with ice before water, it crystallizes and the taste changes.

Some people drink rakı straight. In addition the rakı should be cold. One sip rakı, one sip water – it softens this strong drink.

Rakı goes well with and often inspires good conversation. It is customary to eat meze (various foods served in small plates) while drinking rakı.

Here are some guidelines to observe when drinking rakı:
    First, wait until everyone has been served their rakı, then join in the toast all together. Try not to raise your glass higher than the rest. Never drink rakı with other liquors – it does not mix well and you may indeed find yourself feeling ill or suffering a terrible hangover the next day. Rakı is not a one-shot-liquor as vodka or tequila

2. ugh i hated raki haha..but i always drunk it before leaving to go to bar street

3. **claire**

Im not a big fan of it either, i don't mind a small glass of it after dinner. but i dont think i will ever be able to drink a lot of it.

I think aniseed is a pleasant taste, just not what were used to drinking here in the UK. it takes some getting used to!!

4. whats aniseed?
    did u drink the raki on its own
    i always mixed it with orange juice it was disgusting..but i still drunk it lol

5. Croushy

Croushy Fan

I really dont like Raki, the taste is too...powerful i think. It looks like our national drinks in France, Pastis n Ricard. BEEEEE! :oops:

6. **claire**

i always drank it with water, anissed is the flavour, (like licorice)

ive never tried it with orange juice, dont think i would like it tho!!

7. Anissa

Anissa Fan

yes the taste isn´t really good. same like ouzo. but it bangs in head. and that´s the important fact!

:beer:

8. does raki have a different name for every country.. it tastes exactly the same as "Ouzo" and "perno" :confused:

9. **claire**

I think they are all very similar. they may be made from different fruits. but all still have the aniseed taste.

think the 'Ricard' in france is why i cant drink many RAKI's, (drank far to much of the summer of my 19th birthday) :shock:

10. Anissa

Anissa Fan

no it´s not the same. there are also differnces between greek raki and turkish. greek one is without anis.

raki, ouzo, absinth, perno..they are all related but not the same.

11. aww right!! i hate that liqourse taste of it but its very powerful :wave:

12. Croushy

Croushy Fan

I drank it too much a few years ago too!!! Oh my God, i cant anymore :wacko:

13. PeiramatoZwo

PeiramatoZwo Dirty Disgrace!

Well Ouzo is quite Different compared to Raki, in Greece mainly in Creta they produce quite good Raki, it's powerfull, i still remember the buzz it gave me when i drunk lot's of it , during my Senior Year Schooltrip in Creta.

(Do you have over there in Turkey a recipe , which mixes Raki with Honey ? It is great!!! Try it in case you find it in Kusadaci! :) )

14. Anissa

Anissa Fan

uuuughhhhhhhhhhhh...

only got honey and yoghurt. tastes great. :cheesy:

15. PeiramatoZwo

PeiramatoZwo Dirty Disgrace!

Lol why are you so negative, when you haven't even tried it!!!

16. Anissa

Anissa Fan

it´s a strange mix. but i will do that next summer. when u say it´s good it must be that way!

17. Bilge

Bilge Fan

RAKI IS GREAT AND BEST WHEN PURE!!! WITH SOME FISH AND CANALOPE YUM YUM...

18. Anissa

Anissa Fan

germany wanted to buy it? :confused:

19. cherry

cherry Fan

First, wait until everyone has been served their rakı, then join in the toast all together. Try not to raise your glass higher than the rest. Never drink rakı with other liquors – it does not mix well and you may indeed find yourself feeling ill or suffering a terrible hangover the next day. Rakı is not a one-shot-liquor as vodka or tequila

LIKE UR GONNA B THINKIN OF DAT WHEN UR FALLIN ALL OVER THE PLACE LOL
    ONCE MY FRIEND WAS GIVIN A TOAST AND SHE PUT HER GLASS SO HIGH HER DRINK WENT OVER HER SHOULDER LOL NEARLY STARTED A FIGHT

20. cherry

cherry Fan

LOL I 4GET MY OWN NAME LOL