1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular Turkish recipies

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by **claire**, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Just an idea :idea:

why don't we all add our favorite turkish recipes ...
    for those of us who are not lucky enough to Live in Turkey, the smells & tastes coming out of our kitchens can bring back some memories!!!
    (&probably make us want to go back even sooner!!! :roll: )

2. **claire**

BAKLAVA

Layered pastry with pistachio and honey

To make one 9- by 13-inch pastry

3/4 pound butter (3 quarter-pound sticks), cut into 1/4.inch bits, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 40 sheets file pastry, each about 16inches long and 12 inches wide, thoroughly defrosted if frozen, 4 cups shelled Turkish Pistachio pulverized in a blender or with a nut grinder or mortar and pestle
    SYRUP

1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon honey

Procedure

Clarify the butter in a heavy saucepan or skillet in the following fashion: Melt the butter slowly over low heat without letting itbrown, skimming off the foam as it rises to the surface. Remove the pan from the heat, let it rest for 2 or 3 minutes, then spoon off the clear butter and discard the milky solids at the bottom of the pan.

Preheat the oven to 350 degree and stir the vegetable oil into the clarified butter. Using a pastry brush coat the bottom and sides of a 13-by-9-by-2 1/2inch baking dish with about 1 tablespoon of the mixture.

Fold a sheet of filo in half crosswise, lift it up gently and unfold it into the prepared dish. Press the pastry flat, fold down the excess around the sides and flatten it against the bottom. Brush the entire surface of the pastry lightly with the butter and oil mixture, and lay another sheet of filo on top, folding it down and buttering it in similar fashion. Sprinkle the pastry evenly with about 3 tablespoons of pistachio.

Repeat the same procedure using two sheets of buttered file and 3 tablespoons of the pulverized pistachio each time to make 19 layers in all. Spread the 2 remaining sheets of filo on top and brush the baklava with all of the remaining butter and oil mixture.

With a small, sharp knife score the top of the pastry with parallel diagonal lines about 1/2 inch deep and 2 inches apart, then cross them diagonally to form diamond shapes. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300 degree and bake for 45 minutes longer, or until the top is crisp and golden brown.

Meanwhile, make the syrup. Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a small saucepan and, stirring constantly, cook over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and, timing it from the moment the syrup boils, cook briskly, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until the syrup reaches a temperature of 220 degree on a candy thermometer. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the honey. Pour the syrup into a bowl or pitcher and set it aside.

When the baklava is done, remove it from the oven and pour the syrup over it. Cool to room temperature, and just before serving, cut the baklava into diamond-shaped serving pieces.

3. **claire**

Cucumber & yoghurt salad

Ingredients

Cucumbers 3 medium size Yogurt 3 1⁄2 cups Garlic 3 cloves Olive oil 2 tablespoons Dill 3-4 sprigs Salt 2 teaspoons Water 1 1⁄4 cups

Procedure

Wash, peel and coarsly grate the cucumbers. Wash and weed out the dill and chop finely. Whisk the yogurt, add salt, water, garlic and the cucumbers and mix well. Pour the mixture into individual dishes and sprinkle with olive oil and dill.

4. **claire**

MANTI

Ingredients

For filling, 225 gr. minced beef, 1 large grated onion, salt and pepper to taste, 1/4 cup chopped parsley.

For the dough, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup water, 1 egg, 1 and a half cups flour (for rolling out the pastry). For boiling, 6 cups water or chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt.

For the yoghurt sauce, 4 cups yoghurt, 3 cloves chopped garlic and for the dressing, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 teaspoons red pepper.

Procedure

Mix meat, onion, salt, pepper and parsley in a bowl. Set aside. Mix flour and 1 teaspoon salt together in mixing bowl. Make a hollow in the middle. Pour in 1/2 cup water and the egg. Mix with finger tips and knead the dough with the hands. Place the dough preferably on a wooden floured work surface. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic and does not stick to the hand. Cover with a napkin and set aside for 1 hour at room temperature.

Divide the dough into two. On a floured surface, knead well and shape each piece into a round ball. Cover one ball with a napkin and roll out the other with a long thin rolling pin. Wrap one edge of the pastry around the rolling pin. Roll forward pressing gently towards the ends of the pin. Flip the pastry open. Repeat this process from different edges until the pastry is 1/16 inch (1/6 cm.) thick. Cut with a knife into 2x2 inch (5x5 cm) squares.

Place a teaspoon of meat filling in the center. Pick up four corners, pinching firmly and making sure all sides are sealed. The squares can also be sealed by pinching opposite corners together and pressing the two sides into triangular shapes. Roll out the second ball of dough and repeat the same process. Put chicken broth or water into a very large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Place ravioli carefully into the boiling water. Do not overfill.

Lower the heat. Occasionally stir with a wooden spoon. The pastries rise to the surface when they are cooked, in about 15 minutes. Remove with a perforated spoon to a heated serving plate, pour 1/2 cup liquid from the saucepan over them, keep warm. Combine yoghurt and crushed garlic, mix well. Spread this sauce over the pastries. Melt butter in a small pan. Add red pepper (isot or pul biber) and stir for a few minutes.

Trickle over yoghurt sauce (LIKE A DRESSING)

5. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

LADY'S THIGH MEATBALLS (I Just liked the name...)

Ingredients:
    500 Gr. Semi-Fat Minced Meat
    2 Onions
    3 Tablespoons Flour
    3-4 Tablespoons Margarine
    5 Egges
    1/4 Bunch Parsley
    3/4 Glass Olive Oil
    2 Tablespoons Rice
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

Saute chopped onions and two thirds of minced meat with 1 tablespoon margarine. Boil rice in water till soft, and drain. Remove heat, add the rest of the minced meat, rice, chopped parsley, salt, black pepper, and 3 egges and knead well. Take egg-sized pieces of meat and form into oval shapes. Put half of the flour on a tray, place meatballs on the tray and sprinkle the rest of the flour over them. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl, coat the meatballs with beaten eggs 20 minutes before the meal, and fry them in a pan containing 3/4 glass of heated olive oil, till golden. Take meatballs off the pan with a perforated spoon, draining them well, and place on a serving plate. Serve with french fries.

6. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

SULTAN'S DELIGHT

Ingredients:
    1000 Gr. Mutton
    2 Tablespoons Margarine
    2 Onions
    2 Medium Tomatoes Or 2 Tablespoons Of Tomato Paste
    1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper
    Salt
    2 1/2 Glasses Of Water
    Eggplant Puree:
    750 Gr. Eggplant
    2 1/2 Tablespoon Flour
    3 Tablespoons Butter
    1 1/5 Glasses Of Milk
    1/4 Glass Of Grated Kashar Cheese

Peel and grate the onions. Pare the tomatoes, scoop out the seeds and dice.
    KEBAB: Put margarine and grated onions in a saucepan and saute over moderate heat. Add meat and saute with the onions for 3-4 minutes until golden. Cover and cook until the meat absorbs the water while stirring occasionaly. Season with 1/2 tablespoon black pepper and salt. Add the tomatoes or the tomato paste and 2-2 1/2 glasses of hot water, and simmer until the meat is tender. Check occasionally for water and add water if necessary.
    EGGPLANT PUREE: Put the butter and flour in a small saucepan, place over moderate heat and saute for 2 minutes making sure that the flour doesn't turn golden. Set aside. Grill the eggplants on strong coal or gas heat, burning the skins. Peel the skins of eggplants and blanch them in a bowl containing lemon juice. After blanching for 15 minutes, remove the eggplants from lemon juice and press them with hand to drain. Put the eggplants in the flour one by one and blend them well with a fork. Place the saucepan on heat, add 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/5 glasses of hot milk, and blend them well by beating rapidly. Continue beating until the eggplant mixture becomes a dense paste. Add the grated kashar, stir well and remove heat. When both the kebab and puree are ready, place puree on serving dish, put the meat decoratively in the middle and serve hot.
    Kashar is a sheep cheese similar to Cheddar or Kashkavale

7. **claire**

: TURKISH DELIGHT :clap:

Ingredients

2 cups Sugar
    2 tbspn Cornstarch
    1 cup Water
    1/2 tspn Cream of tartar
    1 tbspn Flavoring *
    Food coloring **
    1/2 cup Toasted nuts, chopped ***
    Confectioners' sugar

Procedure

* Flavorings: rose, mastic, strawberry, orange or
    lemon. ** Food coloring: red, yellow, green or orange
    (depending on flavoring used) *** Nuts: almonds or
    pistachios

Dissolve sugar and cornstarch in water. Add cream of
    tartar. Boil to 220 degrees F. Cover pot the last 5
    minutes. Add flavor and food color. Add nuts.

Pour into oiled shallow pan. When cool, cut into
    squares and roll each piece in sifted powdered sugar.
    Store in plastic bag.

8. Turkish Rice
    (6. servings)
    2 glasses of rice
    3 tablespoons of butter
    3 glasses of water with chicken bullion
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon sugar

Put the rice in a bowl and at hot water with a little salt. let it stand for about 20min.
    after wash it and drain well.
    Melt the butter in a pot, add rice salt, sugar and the water with chicken bullion. Mix well cover and let simmer on low heat for about 15min.
    when its done let it stand around 15min, mix well with a spoon and serve once.

Afiyet olsun

9. Youghurt soup

8 glasses of water with boullion (meat or chicken flavour)
    1/2´cup of flour
    3 glasses of youghurt
    2 egg yolks
    3 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoon dried mint.

Boil the water with bullion on low heat.
    mix the youghurt with the egg yolks and flour. stirring constantly.
    slowly add 2 glasses of water of the boilling stock to the youghurt and mix well
    then add it to the water in the pot and let it boil on low heat for around 10min.
    add butter and dried mint and serve at once.

Afiyet olsun

10. Bulgur with meat

2 glasses of bulgur
    4 tablespoon margarine
    3 medium size onions
    2 tomatoes
    500 gr mutton in cubes
    3 glasses of water with meat bullion
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Wash and drain the bulgur
    Chop the onions and brown then in the margarine. when the onions r finished add the meat.
    cover and cook on medium heat (stirring from time to time) till the juice is gone
    add salt pepper, peeled adn chopped tomatoes and 2 glasses of water.
    Cover and cook until it gets tender
    uncover, still letting it boul and stir from time to time till the juice is gone

Afiyet olsun

11. Blueberry

Blueberry Explorer

SAWINE-(MUSLIM SWEET FOR EID)

1-PACK VERMICELLI(8OZ)
    2-CUPS WATER
    2-PCS.CINNAMON STICKS,1"EACH
    1/4-TSP.SALT
    6-CUPS EVAPORATED MILK
    1/4-CUP SUGAR OR TO TASTE
    1/2-CUP CHOPPED BLANCED ALMONDS
    1/2-CUP RAISINS
    1/2-CUP CHOPPED CHERRIES(NOT FRESH CHERRIES.THE BOTTLED KIND)
    1/2-TSP.VANILLA(OPTIONAL)

METHOD
    1-IN A HEAVY SKILLET,PARCH VERMICELLI UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.

2-BRING WATER,CINNAMON AND SALT TO BOIL

3-ADD VERMICELLI AND COOK ON LOW HEAT UNTIL MOST OF THE WATER HAS EVAPORATED AND VERMICELLI IS TENDER.

4-ADD MILK,SUGAR TO TASTE,ALMOND,RAISINS AND CHERRIES AND COOK FOR A MINUTE OR TWO.

BON APPETITE!!!

12. **claire**

Turkish Flatbread

• 8 tsp. dry yeast
    • 1 tsp. sugar
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 1 cup flour
    Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand in a warm place 10 minutes unitl frothy. Stir in the flour, cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. This makes the sponge.

• 7 cups flour
    • 2 tsp. salt
    • 6 Tbs. olive oil
    • 2 cups & 2 Tbs. lukewarm water
    Put flour in a large bowl, make a well in the center and add the sponge, salt olive oil and lukewarm water. Gradually work in the flour to make a soft and sticky dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 15 minutes. Put the dough in a buttered bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour. Divide dough into quarters and each qaurter into 10 pieces, shaping each into a ball. Cover and let rest 30 minutes. Shape each piece of dough into a circle by flattening dough and stretching it. Bake for 10 minutes at 450° F.

13. Hephaestion

Hephaestion Connoisseur

My mouth waterssssssss! Yummy!!

14. **claire**

15. courtney

courtney Fan

Awesome website Claire, thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to try some of the recipes, I'm sure my fiance with appreciate also. :) For those of you that enjoy cooking here is a really good Turkish cookbook that I found that is so easy to use and the food is awesome, its called "The Sultan's Kitchen" by Ozcan Ozan. Very yummy! :)

Click me :)

16. Angel

Angel Agape

Claire's
    Thanks Claire, that website is great.:bigok:

Courtney's
    The Sultan's Kitchen is a easy Turkish cookbook? Wow, I must look into it. Thanks.:)

17. courtney

courtney Fan

Yeah Angel you should definately look into it, its an awesome cookbook. It is written by a Turk who owns a restraunt in PA somewhere and he modified the recipes according to what ingredients are available in the US. My fiance told me that it wouldn't taste anything like "real" Turkish food, but he was pleasantly surprised (he asks me to cook all the time now, lol - just wish that I had the time too). The salads and stuff aren't nearly as good as in Turkey (our produce here just doesn't taste as good once you've had fruits and veggies from there), but it's still yummy! :)

18. Angel

Angel Agape

courtney's
    So glad to hear the author modified the recipes because it's impossible to find many of the necessary ingredients here. I definitely will try making some Turkish dishes next time my fiance comes to visit. Yeah, I can imagine the salads aren't as good as in Turkey. During my trip I was so amazed by the flavor of the veggies. Oh, and the fruits were heavenly.:bigok: In the evenning my fiance's family would always have lots of fruit to eat (I guess it's a Turkish tradition) and I really enjoyed the experience. I'm a huge fan of fruit anyway.:p LOL!!

19. Hephaestion

Hephaestion Connoisseur

Aww Angel!
    Yep, the veggie´s are to die for in Turkey! So tasty! It´s impossible to replicate elsewhere- because they actually taste of something.
    We some time´s bring big tomatoes and red onions with us home, the last a week or so and they are so heavenly!
    Grilled aubergine...mmmmmmmm!! :)

20. **claire**

Ezo Gelin Çorbasi/ spicy red lentil soup

Garnish: lemon slices and a few mint leaves

Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions over low heat until they are golden--about 15 minutes. Stir in the paprika, then the lentils and bulgur to coat them in the butter. Add the tomato paste, stock, and hot pepper, bring to a boil, and cook until soft and creamy--about an hour.

When ready to serve, crumble the mint between your palms into the soup. Stir and remove the soup from the heat. Let rest for 10 minutes, then ladle into bowls, serving each with a lemon wedge and a sprinkling of mint leaves (if available) or crushed dried mint.

I made this at the weekend ... easiest turkish recipe i have followed!!! & it is to yummmy!!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.