1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Patron's day

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by Smilina, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Smilina

Smilina Fan

PATRON'S DAY

I want to tell about one very important custom for our people. Serbian people are Orthodox, but unlike Russian or Greek (Romanian etc.) Orthodox, we have a PATRON’S DAY. It’s very important, and all religious people celebrate it. Every family has its own Patron’s day, since it is the day when they had received Orthodox religion in the ancient past. For example, my family celebrate St. John the Baptist’s day (20th January), others PD is St. Nicolas (19th December), or St. Steven (9th January) etc. On that day, we make a lot of different food (Blue, don’t ask what kind of, I don’t know a single recipe :oops: ) and cakes. Whole family is gathered together on that day with their friends, we stay up until very late (or, should I say early :roll: ) we sing, tell stories etc.
    As I have already said, we make a lot of different food and cakes, everyone makes what they like, but there is ONE thing that MUST be at every Patron’s day – CEREALS. We cook the grains and then grind it. Then we put sugar and nuts. And we serve it to everyone separately when they arrive. The custom is to take it with your left hand while making the sign of the cross with your right.

2. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

Oh Wow Smillie That Was Interesting! Can U Post More About The Serbian Culture. Id Love To Learn About It.

Thanx :)

3. Mella

Gnenenenenenenene, me either... :whistle:

4. Bilge

Bilge Fan

CHICA MY BELLA, I GET THE FEELING UR NOT ON ABOUT SLEEP!!!

5. Mella

ITS RAMADAN FOR ME RIGHT NOW. EXCEPT I EAT, AND DRINK, AND SMOKE ...........................

6. Bilge

Bilge Fan

ROGER THAT.

7. Mella

ROGER ME (SENCELESSSSSSSSSSS)!!

PRETTY PLZ WITH A CHERRY ON TOP!!!!! ;)

8. Bilge

Bilge Fan

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! TROOPS PUSH FULL FORCE FORWARD ONTO MELLA UNIT! ATTACK!!!