1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Mosques

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Mella, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

I wasn't quite sure where to stick this topic, so i decided historical places would be dandy.

Whilst i was in Kusadasi, i was looking round the shops, merrily finding some fake Louis Vuitton handbags for my friends and i heard this Crazy noise coming from goodness knows where. So i turn and ask the shop owner of Bennys what's going on and he tells me it's praying time and that is how the priest person calls the people to the mosque. (HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!!!!) i was so obsessed with learning about everything Turkish i sat and harrassed him with questions for about an hour.

So i decided i wanted to go visit a mosque, so i waited a little while as i didn't want to interupt prayer time, it's sacred after all. Then i went and asked Mr. Mosque if he minded if i hand a sneeky peak, he said no and handed me a headscarf and a sort of dressing gown thing, then he made me take off my shoes and i was allowed to go inside and watch all the men and boys praying.

One word - OH WOW. it was so deep and meaningful. I honestly was mesmorised, totally.

I'm not totally ignorant to that religion. One of my best friends is from Iran and the other from Morroco so i'd done Ramadan with them before and watched them pray a few times. Although i still don't fully understand stuff. Like for example;

why did the men, whilst praying, get down onto their knees and touch the floor with their head?
    why did i have to take off my shoes before i went inside?
    and why do men and women have different rooms for praying? (my boyfriend said this is because the men would look at the womans arse if they bent over infront of them and sexual thoughts are not allowed in the mosque.) - But i think he was joking. Although i am very gullable heehee.

Can someone please answer my silly questions.

Thanks a million. x

2. 1. You show god that you are praying for him/her. It is something like "I am down on my knees, and I respect you." You put your head instead of getting on your knees.

2. You have to take your shoes off cause the prayers put their heads down on the floor. You might have came out of a WC (public toilet etc.)

3. Your boyfriend is right.

3. Bilge

Bilge Fan

Carmella Carmella I'm so impressed!!! You seem to care about culture a great deal and you make the effort to learn and feed your curiosity in ways some people wouldn't think of! Bravo!

4. I love it when they call for prayer, it's so relaxing to hear! Especially the 1 at 5 o'clock in the morning.

What is the diffirent prayers name?

5. Bilge

Bilge Fan

The call for prayer is the "Ezan". The call for prayer on Friday is called "Sela". Sela is also given when somebody passes away and at religious holidays... Poor explanation I know... but I'm sure you catch my drift.

6. What the diffrent prayers a day? r all 5 prayers called ezan or they have seperate names?

Not a poor explenation :cheesy:

7. Bilge

Bilge Fan

The 5 of them are "Ezan", it's only called "Cuma Selasi" on Friday when they call you for the afternoon prayer...

Confusing...

8. All right......thanx for the answer

9. Bilge

Bilge Fan

No problemo...

10. Susanc

Susanc Addict

mosque

I love the mosques and have even been to the ones in Dublin its great learning about the culture and religion. Also the shop beside the mosque sells all my favourite food Kofta and the like. Thanks for the info guys

:wave:
    SUE

11. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

It is, isn't it!!!
    I found watching the men pray and the man (i don't know what a priest is called in a mosque??) chanting the prayer inside the mosque SO relaxing.I came out feeling really relaxed and i dunno what the word is....but it was charming. I felt really wierd watching them though - as if i was impossing on their time with allah :S i got made to sit behind this line where visitors were meant to stand. I didn't know that at first though and tried to join in! The man wasn't very amused =/ I love the turkish culture, it's so interesting. I tried to soak it up and learn as much as possible but that wasn't as much as i'd hoped for.

12. cherry

cherry Fan

MY FRIEND WENT THERE A WEEK AGO AND WENT 2 LIGHT SOME CANDLES, SHE WAS WEARIN SHORTS AND A A TOP AND SHE WAS KICKED OUT THE WOMAN TOLD HER IT WAS NOT A POOL, AND DAT SHE SHOULD COVER UP....... :oops: :(
    MY FRIEND WAS CRYIN AND EVERYTHIN SHE GOT SUCH A FRIGHT.... SHE CAN LAUGH ABOUT IT NOW BUT I DONT THIN SHE WILL B GOIN THERE AGAIN :cheesy:

13. Bilge

Bilge Fan

The woman couldn've been a hell of a lot more polite and explain to your friend why she couldn't enter dressed the way that she was (assuming she can speak a few words of English)... but it is true that you have to cover up in mosqe. I can imagine the shock she had though :shock: ! I don't think she should give up; she should try again, but then in the way that p.e. Carmella did..?

14. cherry

cherry Fan

YEAH I KNOW......SHE JUST WASNT THINKIN THAT THERE WAS ANYTHIN WRONG WITH WHAT SHE WAS WEARIN, BUT RULES R MORE STRICT IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN IRELAND U CAN WEAR WHAT U WANT 2 MASS, BUT DONT WORRY IL DRAG HER THERE AGAIN :D

15. tracy

tracy Fan

Hi Carmella!
    I know exactly how you feel. I went to the blue mosque in Istanbul (it's huge!) and was just overwhelmed by the beauty of it and I suppose for me it was admiration for the dedication some peolpe have to something they believe in. I have never been anywhere like it in my whole life. I know it sounds silly but I wanted to cry :cry: ...I just found it very emotional.

Tracyxx

16. Bilge

Bilge Fan

Istanbul is breath taking in every way... it tends to do that to you.. :)

17. Smilina

Smilina Fan

Hmmmm… How is it that I have discovered this topic just now…?

If I’d seen it before, I would have said so much things about it… But since it’s pretty late and I have classes in the morning, I’ll just say a few things. I am very impressed as well… I have heard Hodja for the first time when I was about 7, here in my own country and in my birth town, while I was passing by the (one and only) Mosque in Belgrade, and I’ve been sooo impressed that I stood in front of it staring to the sky, wondering where did that sound come from. My mum has literally dragged me away, since I was late for school… After that, I haven’t heard it for ages, and to be honest I forgot about it…
    Next time I have heard it was about 5 years ago while I had been watching something on TV. But, all that is nothing comparing to actually hearing that in person. And I must admit… It’s so relaxing and calming… And I agree with Charlotte (Damn_Fine_Black_Girl), it’s so beautiful when you hear it at 5 am.

I have always been interested in Islam, and I read a whole lot of books about it. But I don’t know what does the Hodja say when he is calling for a prayer. All I know that at the beginning he says “ALLAH AKBAR” (which means something like “Allah is all present” (but don’t hold me on that one, I’m not 100% sure)), and then repeats one sentence for 9 times. So, could anyone tell me which sentence is that? And what it means.

Hehe, so much about “it’s pretty late and I have classes in the morning, I’ll just say a few things”… I wonder how would it look like if I actually had time. :roll:

18. Croushy

Croushy Fan

I think ALLAH OUAKBAR means GOD IS GREAT?

19. Croushy

Croushy Fan

Oh if we think about this, we can note that it can be the same meaning in fact... :confused: