1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Izmir

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by **claire**, Jan 5, 2005.

1. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Izmir is the main city in the Aegean region and the third largest in Turkey.

Its ideal location, on a natural bay, enabled the development of a large port which has contributed to the successful development of Izmir.

This is one of Turkey's most pleasant cities: its streets are shaded by palm trees, the walkways are beautiful, the houses elegant.

The most summer sun is cooled by winds blowing in from the sea.

Izmir is the ancient city of Smyrna, "the country of the sacred mother". It existed even before the arrival of the Hittites and has been ruled by lonians, Persians, Romans and Ottomans. But unfortunately few traces of Izmir's magnificent past remain. A fire at the end of the Turkish-Greek war in 1922 destroyed a great part of the city, and the newly built Izmir today is modern and gleaming.

Its economic development is linked to the port and the various industrial enterprises.

The final destination of the "King's Road", which links with Iran, Izmir continues to be a focal point of tourism and entertainment, renowned for its fish restaurants along the shore, its bars, discotheques and night clubs.

Its hinterlands are rich in monuments and ruins which tell the tale of countless ancient civilizations.

[​IMG]

2. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

Thank You for the nice article Claire ;)

BTW, that photo is my town, Karsiyaka-Izmir. :bigok:

3. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

I found the picture a few days ago .. it looks really nice!!!

I love photos taken at night ... the lights make everything look so lively!!
    :)

Is there a beach there? or is it just a harbour?

4. Umit

Umit Veteran Staff Member

No beach, it's not clean to swim.

5. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

I wanna goto Izmir..Someone showed me some pics it looks lovely! I am going to go to Goztepe to support and be a hooligan for the football club!! wohoo come on Goztepe

6. Croushy

Croushy Fan

I was two times in Izmir, but i didnt like it so much. i found some very pretty views but.. somethin was missin. Maybe becos its a big city, n i wasnt in the best areas... dont know :p

7. Sharon

Sharon Fan

get there for £4 on the bus lets hire one for our partey

8. Mella

Ok Shaz, Good Idea! You Can Be The Bus Driver Though

9. Sharon

Sharon Fan

might crash in 5 mins can not drive we will kidnap the driver

10. Hande

Hande Fan

hmm.. izmir karşıyaka.. my boyfriend lives there :p
    izmir is really beautiful everyone has to visit this town ;)

11. Carmella my girl :p Göz Göz Göztepe :cool:

I would recommend people to see Alsancak, in my opinion it's the best area in Izmir... Karsiyaka is lovely to.
    Oh and dont forget to visit kemeralti (the bazar) in Konak.. when u see the prices they have their compaired to kusadasi u will be choked.
    Another thing that can chok u is how busy izmir is! :confused:

12. Mella

Wooooooohoooooooooo *Turns into a Göztepe hooligan* :miranda:
    [​IMG]

13. Shannon

Shannon Addict

Has anyone been to the National Park in Izmir? I was supossed to go at xmas but spent most of my time in Foca. I'd love to see it though!

14. Gecko

Gecko Explorer

Izmir's Culture and Tourism Department had announced that 1,138,000 people visited Izmir during 2004. And 763,000 of this amount is foreign.

Also the ratio increased by %42.64 according to 2003.

Go Izmir ! :)

15. Izmir Nightlife

If u go to Izmir, u have to try out the nightlife, its amazing! They r nothing like what u see in bar st, they r huge, and full with turkish party people. U have to pay entrence to get in, and the prices for drinks a r bit more expensive then Kusadasi, but not much.
    Clubs u should go to: Neo, Jade and club 33 r they best in my opinion.
    If u like to listen to live music, u should go to Kordon, they got lots of really nice bars there and the atmosphere is amaizing, and its nice that u can sit outside in the breeze looking at the habour.

If u go to Izmir, think it would be best during the fall, winter. Its a lovely city, with so many things to do and see, defenatly a place to see

16. hmmm i love pics at night there gorge thats also why i love night flights! thats a gorge pic and i realli wanna visit izmir going to the airport is not enough xxx

17. Izmir airport is SO boring, nothing like its city.. I also like to fly over izmir in the night time, its so beautiful

18. its gorge aint it yeh i hate waiting at airports and during the day its too hot! just waiting about for your luggage! i really am gunna visit the city!xxx

19. Mella

Lol I Love waiting at airports..Just the atmosphere and people watching, you see some right wierdos! I hate it when you arrive back home though and you see other people just heading off to go on Holiday :(

The nightlife in Izmir sounds cok guzel, definately gunna check it out one of these days..

20. that is the worst thing ever seeing everyone else going on hol! i also hate it wen u get back to the airport in your own country u feel like uv left everything behind and when u gotta bf there its so difficult cas u cant just pop over whenever! i always feel lost when i get home and it makes england feel so shit! xxx