1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

Do try this at home: food and drink

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by turquoise, Jun 24, 2004.

1. turquoise

turquoise Explorer

Everywhere in Turkey, next to black tea and raki, people drink Ayran. When I was eating in a doner kebab place, I saw people around me drinking a milky looking drink with their food. The owner asked if I wanted ayran, as if he offered me tea or water, it is the drink, I understood. I had it before, and said: Yes please.
    It is a healthy, refreshing and cleansing drink, and you make it like this:
    3 cups yoghurt, 2 cups milk, 3 cups cold water, 1,5 teaspoon salt.
    Beat the yogurt with a fork or mixer in a bowl. Add milk gradually, stir in the cold water, add the salt, and mix well.
    As you see, this will be quite a quantity, but I have a book whith recipes from Turkish cuisine, and all the ingredients ar meant for a meal for twelve people. This says something about Turkish hospitality!

You can buy Ayran in the supermarket in the diary department in big and small quantities.
    Do try this at home, as opposed to the programme: Don't try this at home. If you like, I can add more recipes, to make you familiar or re-establish your love for Turkish cuisine!

2. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Turkish Coffee

Today, Turkish coffee shops continue their role in society as a meeting place for both the cultured citizen and the inquisitive traveler. most Turkish cities offer many new and delightful cafe-restaurants where friends and family meet to discuss topics of the day and drink a cup of traditional Turkish coffee.

Derived from the Arabic bean, Turkish coffee is a very fine, powder-like grind. An aromatic spice called cardamom is sometimes added to the coffee while it is being ground. One can also boil whole seeds of cardamom with the coffee and let them float to the top when served.

Turkish coffee has three levels of sweetness ranging from very sweet to black. Since sugar is not added to the coffee after it is served, spoons are not needed. As the coffee begins to heat, it begins to foam. A rule of the Turkish coffee ceremony dictates that if there is no foam in the coffee, the coffee was not well-done.

Turkish coffee is served hot from a special coffee pot called a cezve. Tradition states that after the guest has consumed the coffee, the cup is turned upside down on the saucer and allowed to cool, the hostess then performs a fortune reading from the coffee grounds remaining in the cup. Rich in tradition and flavor, Turkish coffee remains a traditional drink in Turkey today.

Breakfast in Turkey

Breakfast is very important for the Turkish people. Generally speaking Turkish people do like to have a long breakfast with their famous Turkish Tea, olives and white cheese. In big cities as both man and woman are in business life, they do not spend much time for breakfast and prefer to buy a "simit" , "poğaca" or "börek" on the way to work.

The Breakfast Menu:

Turkish Tea: Tea is the unmissable drink in daily life additionally to breakfast. The famous Tea Houses "Kıraathane" or "Kahvehane" are a kind of tradition in the Turkish way of life. "Cay" is drunk in a thinly small tea glass. To hold the glass when the tea is hot, the very upper part of the glass is thick and it is hold with two fingers from this thick part. Many people drink it with sugar and in most cases the sugar is cut in rectangular pieces (Küp Şeker). At homes Tea is cooked in a special pot called "çaydanlık". It is a two piece set where water is boiling in down part and tea is damped in the upper part ("Dem"). According your wish your glass is filled either with dark or light tea. Many Turkish people do prefer dark tea so if you could not drink the dark you need to mention that you wish it light. The best way to tell this is in Turkish : "Açık Çay lutfen " - Light tea please...

White Cheese: The white cheese is mostly a product from the cow or lamb. Rarely you could also face ghost cheese. It has a salty taste and is similar to the feta cheese of the Greek.

Olive: Olive trees grow in the west coats of Turkey. Although they are mostly served black , green olives are also eaten. While olives are served, lemon and olive oil is added. A personal tip : Oregon gives the olives a wonderful taste...

Honey : Middle Anatolia is the source of honey in Turkey, specially Ankara is famous with its production. The honey is either served fine or just as it is coming out from the bees caves.

Rum Butter and Kaymak : Kaymak is a kind of rum butter that balances the sweet things such as honey or jam. Kaymak is also used together with the Turkish sweets such as Ekmek Kadayıfı, Baklava or Künefe.

Eski Kaşar
    : Old yellow cheese is produced all around Turkey where animal husbandry is made. Specially the east cheese is top quality.

Other products on the menu:

Jam, Salami, Sucuk (Spicy Kind Of Salami), Taze Kaşar (Young Cheese), Jambon, Egg and Omlettes...

Bread : Bread is the main and most consumed product in Turkey. Bread is eaten with every meal and many people even eat bread with macaroni or rice. Although there are different sorts of breads produced the main one is white bread sold in a boat shape leaf.

Simit : Simit is the famous round and sesamed bread. Many people eat it as breakfast with a piece of cheese and tea.

Poğaça :Kind of pastry filled with either white cheese, minced meat, potatoes or spinach.

Börek :The famous pastry that has several sorts.

- Kol Böreği : Long small pieces either with white cheese, minced meat, spinach or empty served with sugar spread over it.

- Su Böreği : Soft pastry with white cheese.

- Kırma or Tepsi Böreği: Minced slices of pastry filled either with cheese, or minced meat.

*bumping back up*

I had some questions recently about Turkish food!

:)

3. hopemc

hopemc Explorer

I would love to have some receipes to try at home before going to turkey in late March 2007.

4. babypud

babypud Addict

We have Ayran in India, it's called Lassy and you can have it sweet, also with fruit, we add ice cubes when blending. Do they add salt to lemon soda aswell.

5. tracie

tracie Super Star Scouser of Söke

i love ayran

we drink here at home most days i just love it with kebabs

6. Hephaestion

Hephaestion Connoisseur

Ayran is availeble all over the Middle East as well.

Hey Babypud is that the same as Mango lassy?! I tried that and it´s deeeelicious! P

It is supposed to be very healthy and particularly so in hot climates.
    It restores the water/salt balances I think.

I agree with you Tracie, a Kebab and a glass of Ayran is heavenly.:oops: :yummy:

I never liked buttermilk which kids get here in Kindergarten, but Ayran is so silky smooth and helped me once get over food poisening that I swear by it now.