1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC iPlayer goes global...

Discussion in 'Expat Forum' started by Mella, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

BBC iPlayer goes global... and it will cost foreigners half the price of the licence fee[​IMG]

The BBC's iPlayer service is to be launched globally this year and it will cost people outside Britain half the price of the UK licence fee.

The international version of the iPlayer app will cost less than U.S. $10 per month - £6.13 - which equates to around £73 per year.

The annual license fee for UK viewers is £145.50 per year.

'We're exploring internationally what the right pricing and models are ... the most important thing is the consumer pricing is right,' said Mark Thompson, the BBC’s director general, at a conference in London.
    He added that the iPad service will launch 'definitely this year', and said it will cost, 'a small number of dollars per month, definitely fewer than 10'.

The BBC has said that the global iPlayer app will not provide all of the BBC's content to overseas subscribers, but the catch-up service is expected to allow those abroad access to full series of shows.
    The licence fee gives Britons access to 10 TV channels and 55 radio stations, as well as the Online, Mobile and iPlayer services.

However, the BBC said that the international iPlayer app will help to provide more funding for services for people in the UK, a view was echoed by industry experts.
    'There are two ways of looking at this,' Ian Maude, head of internet at Enders Analysis, told the Telegraph.

'One way is that people overseas should pay more for BBC content than those in the UK who are forced to pay the licence fee, whether they like or not, as it is imposed as a flat tax.

Read more: Daily Mail

2. you only need a tv license if you want to watch the programme live, when its being shown on television at the same moment you want to watch it on iplayer. they usually upload the programmes 15 to 20 mins after they broadcast then u dont have to pay a thing.

3. Peted1

Peted1 Kusadasi Artist

Hmm, not so sure about that, the way the law is written, is that if you have the equipment in your abode that is capable of receiving Live TV transmissions, then you are required to hold a TV license for that abode. How that relates to receiving live programs over the internet I'm not sure, but presumably if your PC has the capability (i.e. suitable programs/add on boards) to receive live on-line transmissions then the license fee comes into play.

4. Lez Zetli

Lez Zetli Expert

From the TV Licensing Authority website:
    Read more http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology-top8/

5. Tony

Tony Ainmire

6. Rolf

Rolf Expert

Interesting but will they use the profits to subsidise the UK license

7. sexyshirl

sexyshirl Expert

I know this is a very old topic but I am interested to know if anyone is able to watch UK TV via the internet and if so how did you set it up. if this is an inflammatory question then feel free to tell me to P**s off LOL

8. jake 51

jake 51 Veteran

Android box £39.99 all uk and sky programmes or firestick. £29.99.both can be purcased at Amazon..

peril and sexyshirl like this.
  9. peril

peril Connoisseur

Yes this will work- we brought over an android box and run it from our Mifi for news matches the odd film and documentaries etc- works perfectly and not too expensive.

sexyshirl likes this.
  10. sexyshirl

sexyshirl Expert

Any particular model Peril?

11. peril

peril Connoisseur

It's in turkey so I don't know the make of it SS- it cost €59 and I've brought it to Malta Spain and turkey and can get all Irish and uk stations plus sky and lots of others - I think most of them would work anywhere once you have the internet. Likewise the Mifi is in turkey but they have them in all the turkcell shops - we've ours a few years now and they probably have better models - ours cost about 159 tl nearly three years ago. We just get 15gb and use it til it goes and then get more. Suits us but may not suit everyone.

sexyshirl likes this.
  12. sexyshirl

sexyshirl Expert

Thanks Peril I have internet already so this seems to be the answer .... Amazon here I come

jake 51 and peril like this.
  13. sexyshirl

sexyshirl Expert

Box arrived tested and working a treat Kodi already installed and I just downloaded Exodus... watched La La land last night... happy days

jake 51, peril and Christine like this.
  14. peril

peril Connoisseur

Glad that's worked out for you SS- I've been busy dodging rain and babysitting - and I feel like I'm in lala land!

jake 51 and sexyshirl like this.