1. Hi, our forums' email system is working again. You can now complete the new registrations or retrieve password lost related emails.
    Dismiss Notice

A thousand years of history -- a thousand years of Turks .. exhibition in London

Discussion in 'Talk about Turkey' started by **claire**, Jan 24, 2005.

1. **claire**

**claire** Super Moderator

Some 350 items, most of which were selected from Istanbul’s Topkapi Museum and its Islamic Turkish Art Museum, are on display in this exhibition covering a thousand years of Turkic history -- 'Turks: A Journey of a Thousand Years (600–1600)'

the exciting exhibition that opened officially this past week at the Royal Academy of Art in London. Some 350 items, most of which were selected from Istanbul's Topkapi Museum and its Islamic Turkish Art Museum, are on display in this exhibit covering a thousand years of Turkic history – "Turks: A Journey of a Thousand Years (600–1600)." Other works have come from such museums as the Metropolitan Museum, the Berlin State Museum, the Victoria and Alfred Museum, the Louvre, The British Museum, the National Gallery and Vienna's Kunsthistorisches Museum.

For the first time this exhibit brings together fabulous works of art, starting from the nomadic tribe of Uighur Turks who lived in Central Asia on the fabled Silk Road, which ran from Eastern Europe to China. Shades of Marco Polo at a much later date! In the seventh century, the Uighurs spread out, as nomadic groups do, adapting to the other groups that they came in contact with and borrowing from them.

The exhibition explores the richness of the Seljuks (1040-1194), the Timurids (1370-1506) and the Ottoman culture between 1453 and 1600. Among the magnificent items on display are textiles, manuscripts, ceramics, metalwork, woodwork and calligraphy, all from the 600-1600 time frame.

The crowning jewel of the exhibit is examples of the work of Mehmed Siyah Kalem (Mehmed of the Black Pen), about whom virtually nothing is known. In fact, there is considerable debate over how he could have developed a style that had never been seen at the time and never was again. His work, whose style suggests a flavor of the Chinese, is lively and wholly original. There are no comparisons, and none of his work had ever been taken out of Turkey until now.

Although the exhibition has only been open for a few days, it has received extensive coverage in the British and Turkish press. It is being hailed as one of the greatest exhibits to be held in London and has been compared with only two previous exhibits. The number of visitors is expected to be very high.

For those who will be unable to see this splendid exhibition before it closes on April 12, 2005, there is a Web site available at www.turks.org.uk that gives extensive information about the exhibit and how to obtain materials, tickets and the like.

2. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

Damn..If i was still living in London, i definately would have gone.

Thanks Claire, you always bring us the latest news, you're better than 'HEAT' magazine :D

3. **claire**

Update .....

Looks like the exhibition is a big success!! Hopefully with so many Visitors it will improve british visitor numbers to Turkey this year!!! :bigok:

LONDON - Sources said on Sunday that ''Turks: A Journey of a Thousand Years'' exhibition, opened at the Royal Academy of Arts in British capital of London on January 22nd, had been visited by over 30,000 guests in just 12 days.

The exhibition, exploring the artistic achievements of the Turks over 1,000 historic years, was promoted to international press Tuesday morning.

The Royal Academy of Arts will hold artifacts of Turkish culture from 600 AD to 1600. It spans three Turkish empires, beginning with the Uyghurs of the 7th century. It also includes the Seljuks and the Ottomans, with about 370 pieces covering 1,000 years of the region's history.

Bringing together over 370 outstanding works, the exhibition is drawn principally from the famous collections of two Turkish museums, The Topkapi Palace Museum and the Museum of Turkish & Islamic Art of Istanbul.

A door designed by architect Sinan as the door of Privy Chamber of Sultan Murat III in 1578, 6 square meters of a well-preserved carpet belonging to the 13th century (Seljuk era), valuable porcelain, carpets, helmets, diary of Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror, and caftan of Sultan Selim II from Topkapi Palace Museum are among artifacts to be displayed in the exhibition. Academy authorities expect to welcome over 400,000 visitors to the exhibition on Turks till April 12th, when the exhibition will be closed

4. Mella

Mella Administrator Staff Member

That's excellent! It would be good if it will help increase the amount of British people visiting Turkey. I still meet people that are so close minded about visiting that wonderful country. Hopefully by opening their eyes and showing them how far they have come, how much they have achieved and how fasinating Turkey and the history is, it will brush their stereotypical views under the carpet.

did that make any sense? ah, i understand myself anyway........ :doh:

5. Bilge

Bilge Fan

I understood... and I think ur right!

6. **claire**

Yep .. makes a lot of sense!! I totally agree with every word you said! Turkey is such a wonderful country & a lot of people have such 'closed' opinions of it.

I have never met anyone who has been to Turkey, have anything but praise for such a wonderful country.

I really do hope this exhibition will increase visitor numbers, It shows that Turkey isnt just a 'holiday' destination, but also a very historic & interesting country.